BYLAW 0167 3 Public Participation at Board Meetings
The School Board recognizes the value of public comment on educational issues and the importance of allowing members of the public to express themselves on Corporation matters.
To permit fair and orderly public expression, the Board shall provide a period for public participation at those public meetings of the Board during which action may be taken and publish procedures to govern such participation in Board meetings.
The presiding officer of each Board meeting at which public participation is permitted shall administer the procedures of the Board for its conduct.
The presiding officer shall be guided by the following rules:
A. Attendees must register their intention to participate in the public portion of the meeting upon their arrival at the meeting.
B. Participants must be recognized by the presiding officer and will be requested to preface their comments by an announcement of their name, address, group affiliation, if and when appropriate.
C. Each statement made by a participant shall be limited to two (2) minutes duration.
D. All statements shall be directed to the presiding officer; no person may address or question Board members individually.
E. The presiding officer may:
1. prohibit public comments which are frivolous, repetitive, or harassing;
2. interrupt, warn, or terminate a person's statement when the statement is too lengthy, personally directed, abusive, obscene, or irrelevant;
3. request any individual to leave the meeting when that person behaves in a manner that is disruptive of the orderly conduct of the meeting;
4. request the assistance of law enforcement officers in the removal of a disorderly person when that person's conduct interferes with the orderly progress of the meeting;
5. call for a recess or an adjournment to another time when the lack of public decorum so interferes with the orderly conduct of the meeting as to warrant such action;
6. waive these rules with the approval of the Board when necessary for the protection of privacy or the administration of the Board's business.