How to Become a Bus Driver
- Fill out an application online at www.brownsburg.k12.in.us
- Interview with the Transportation Department, if selected
- Process your background check
- Get the BMV manual; study for the test. BCSC will give you the manual and give you pointers on how to study for this test.
- Take the 4 tests at the BMV (general knowledge, public passenger, school bus, and air brake)
- Bring a pass paper to the Transportation Office for a DOT drug screen and a physical voucher.
- Take the DOT drug screen and physical voucher to Hendricks Regional Health for processing
a. Make sure you get a hard copy of your physical; you will need it for step 8.
b. BCSC will pay for both the drug test and the physical
- Go to the BMV to get your permit (your expense)
- Bring your permit and physical to the Transportation Office for copies
- The transportation office will order your blue card and schedule you for the 3-day schooling.
- You will be scheduled with the trainer. From here, BCSC will assist you with training. You will be working with a certified trainer that will give you pointers in passing your skills test.
- Train on the bus with a certified trainer
- Pass your CDL road test with assistance from your BCSC trainer
- Go to the BMV to obtain your CDL license (your expense)
- Go to the Transportation Office and give them a copy of your CDL license
- Complete paperwork at Central Office (HR department) and obtain a badge
- You are now able to drive a school bus.