How to Become a Bus Driver
- Fill out an application online
- Interview with the Transportation Department, if selected
- Process your background check (your expense)
- Get the BMV manual; study for the test. BCSC will give you the manual and give you pointers on how to study for this test.
- Take the 4 tests at the BMV
- Bring a pass paper to the Transportation Office for a DOT drug screen and physical voucher
- Take the DOT drug screen and physical voucher to Hendricks Regional Health for processing
Make sure you get a hard copy of your physical; you will need it for step 8
BCSC will pay for both the drug test and physical
- Go to the BMV to get your permit (your expense)
- Bring your permit and physical to the Transportation Office for copies
- You will be scheduled with the trainer. From here, BCSC will assist you in training. You will be working with a certified trainer that will give you pointers in passing your skills test.
- Transportation office will order your blue card and schedule you for the 3-day schooling
- Train on the bus with a certified trainer
- Watch training videos at Transportation Office during your training session
- Pass your CDL road test with assistance from your BCSC trainer
- Go to the BMV to obtain your CDL license (your expense)
- Go to Transportation Office and give them a copy of your CDL license
- Complete paperwork at Central Office (HR department) and obtain badge
You are now able to drive a school bus!